Gay Marriage Likely Heading to the Supreme Court

June 26 2015
Unknown Person liked this
Edited June 26 2015 by AndreaMaria
Steven Skeffington

Rasilek

June 26 2015
"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.

It is so ordered."

- United States Supreme Court, June 26, 2015
3 people liked this
Alain Rojas

Ngagecloak

June 26 2015
Fireworks in-game may have to be disabled, because of me. Sorry fleet. :laugh:
2 people liked this
Kidd Kasper

kiddkasper

June 26 2015
Quote by WhiteOnmyoji

I've already been saying "Happy Marriage Equality Day!" to folks.
Jamie O'Connell

medgirl1025

June 26 2015
This is an absolutely spectacular day!! Congrats to us all on marriage equality being achieved! :D
Kidd Kasper

kiddkasper

June 27 2015
While I'm overjoyed by today's ruling, there's still work to be done. The SCOTUS ruled that same-sex marriage bans are unconstitutional. However, that doesn't mean that all counties in every state will begin issuing licenses immediately. Laws will have to be changed, forms will have to be updated and the last hold out places that simply refuse to accept reality will have to be drug kicking and screaming into civilization (read: sued again and again and again). Today was a victory to be sure. But the march toward equality is far from over.
Edited June 27 2015 by kiddkasper
Alain Rojas

Ngagecloak

June 29 2015
Guess I got no more excuses to get a huzzbend!
Kidd Kasper

kiddkasper

August 13 2015
Just a footnote: apparently there weren't many hold outs to issuing licenses. But even they have been made to get with the program.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/judge-orders-kentucky-clerk-to-issue-gay-marriage-licenses/ar-BBlGU30?ocid=iehp
Steven Skeffington

Rasilek

September 02 2015
Yeah, and now she's doubling down and ignoring the Supreme Court. She's going before a federal judge later this week to explain why she shouldn't be given some nasty fines and/or jail time...

She is flagrantly violating the law and she absolutely needs to go to jail to show the next person that gets elected that their ideology does not outweigh the law and the rights of others.

Ridiculousness.
2 people liked this
Edited September 02 2015 by Rasilek

Unknown Person

Re:Gay Marriage Likely Heading to the Supreme Court

September 02 2015
We have a few clerks here who seem to be going all rebel. I'm not really surprised, though. KY isn't exactly basking in the pool of knowledge and common sense. I know, I live here :p People aren't going to stand by and let them continue to deny marriage lisences. I feel like the religious aspect of this is just a shield they're using to mask their own personal feelings and prejudice. One way or another they'll be brought into the fold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 people liked this
Michael Minks-Bungard

Dax_aussie_boy

September 02 2015
I think strongly on this statement that i am about to say, which is "If you are going to be in a job that requires you to make and put you in a position that goes against what you believe in as a person, not as a religious person then you need to think about whether or not you are the right person for that job."

Some people have their heart in the right place, but just don't have the open mindedness to keep their personal beliefs at home. But this is a hard practice to do especially in this time and era.

I don't think firing under the wrong pretext would go well for both the LGBTI community in Kentucky nor having the Government or County to do, so i think that if they do want to remove her from office as a county clerk, then they need to approach it very carefully and be consistent in doing so.

Just my to cent from an Ozzy perspective.

Dax
Antonio V

Vidannotaredshirt79

September 02 2015
She is breaking the law and ignoring a court order. She needs to be punished accordingly. She is not above the law.
Martin McCann

Ergonal

September 02 2015
Its ironic, she swore an oath

" I will not knowingly or willingly commit any malfeasance of office, and will faithfully execute the duties of my office without favor, affection or partiality"

..an oath i might add she swore on a Bible

.... me personally i don't mind her objections to equal marriage i have no issue with that in the slightest ( i don't necessarily agree with her stance). She is an elected official that cant just cherry pick which laws she follows ..its either all or nothing!
Kidd Kasper

kiddkasper

September 03 2015
3 people liked this
Edited September 03 2015 by kiddkasper
Alain Rojas

Ngagecloak

September 04 2015
Once upon a time, I had reserves of kindness & forgiveness in abundance. Not any more. :evil:

Let that oath-breaker rot in a jail cell.
Liam

williamjaneway

September 04 2015
I don't think she deserves to rot in jail over her beliefs, I do believe she needs to be removed from office on the basis that she cannot function in her role because of her beliefs.

The fact that the court seem unable to do that without holding a session seems crazy, and the fact that when they do hold a session they could still end up re electing her?
Edward Lloris

Saintplazma

September 05 2015
Quote by williamjaneway
I don't think she deserves to rot in jail over her beliefs, I do believe she needs to be removed from office on the basis that she cannot function in her role because of her beliefs.

The fact that the court seem unable to do that without holding a session seems crazy, and the fact that when they do hold a session they could still end up re electing her?

If the just gave her the fee someone would pay it off for her and she wouldn't learn. As much as open ended jail time leaves a bad taste in my mouth, it has to be done.