Stonewall Meetup: Destination Star Trek Birmingham

Kieran Kiki

Kierix

May 05 2019
Hi all!

Just a little message to say those in the UK there is a star trek con at the NEC in Birmingham on the 25th - 27th of October, and a couple of us were going to go have a look around and then also turn it to a little meetup for stoneies!

So far me and WiredGuy are going on the Saturday to have a look around so if you want to pop down and come say hi that would be awesome!

Cal mentioned it to me last year so maybe we can see him too

If you wanted to meet up then can just discuss it on this thread or we can set up a dm or group chat about it.

Thought it would be a cool ball to throw out there for those that cant go to vegas in the uk?

If you wanted to have a look at the webpage / book tickets heres the link http://www.destinationstartrek.com

Or if you just wanted to come and go to spoons that is good too
😂

-Lots of love, Kieran
3 people liked this

Unknown Person

May 05 2019
I'm not sure how long they sell tickets for or how long until they are sold out ...

But assuming it can wait until i get some money .. I will try and come :) Be lovely to meet people and I've never been to a Star Trek Convention.

I hope there's some holodecks to ... try ;) ;)
Unknown Person liked this
Kieran Kiki

Kierix

May 05 2019
Quote by halish
I'm not sure how long they sell tickets for or how long until they are sold out ...

But assuming it can wait until i get some money .. I will try and come :) Be lovely to meet people and I've never been to a Star Trek Convention.

I hope there's some holodecks to ... try ;) ;)

me neither!!!
Cal

calx

May 05 2019
Here's some tips for this convention
- tickets should be available right up to on the day they sell them for entry. these are entry tickets (and for the free talks on the day). they sell many tiers which give you some photos/autographs but they cost way too much IMHO
- it is nice to see the fans and cosplayers who dress up. some make superb efforts indeed
- note that photos and autographs with the stars are all paid extras and the costs do add up so price this up if you want to keep to a budget
- the sets are not real and are "made" so if you have an eye for realism, this isn't for you
- but it should be a nice day out to see some of the free exhibits (like some costumes from the show, props used, collectors' collections etc - all should be on the website)
- you will be able to catch the stars sitting down for their signing sessions on the main floor too.
- there should be lots of stalls selling stuff (eaglemoss, costumes n merchandise) so bring your credit cards!

the NEC is very accessible being in the centre of the UK with transport links (road, rail, air)

Destination Star Trek will also be in Germany next year I believe?

- subscribe to the emails, they might, *might* ask for volunteers nearer the time depending on whether they have got enough. So this means you can get in for free BUT you will be helping out ANY TASK and so won't actually be free (on that day) to do what you might want to. But you might end up sitting next to one of the Trek stars yourself!

There is one final tip
- just enjoy and soak up the atmosphere, and see Star Trek fans as you may never have seen them before, who have come from far and wide to be with their fellow fans and in the presence they've seen on screen. THis year will feature DISCO quite a bit I see too!
I remember my first time and smiling seeing people in uniform walking proudly through the halls. And then spotting Gul Dukat!

Kieran Kiki

Kierix

May 06 2019
Quote by calx
Here's some tips for this convention
- tickets should be available right up to on the day they sell them for entry. these are entry tickets (and for the free talks on the day). they sell many tiers which give you some photos/autographs but they cost way too much IMHO
- it is nice to see the fans and cosplayers who dress up. some make superb efforts indeed
- note that photos and autographs with the stars are all paid extras and the costs do add up so price this up if you want to keep to a budget
- the sets are not real and are "made" so if you have an eye for realism, this isn't for you
- but it should be a nice day out to see some of the free exhibits (like some costumes from the show, props used, collectors' collections etc - all should be on the website)
- you will be able to catch the stars sitting down for their signing sessions on the main floor too.
- there should be lots of stalls selling stuff (eaglemoss, costumes n merchandise) so bring your credit cards!

the NEC is very accessible being in the centre of the UK with transport links (road, rail, air)

Destination Star Trek will also be in Germany next year I believe?

- subscribe to the emails, they might, *might* ask for volunteers nearer the time depending on whether they have got enough. So this means you can get in for free BUT you will be helping out ANY TASK and so won't actually be free (on that day) to do what you might want to. But you might end up sitting next to one of the Trek stars yourself!

There is one final tip
- just enjoy and soak up the atmosphere, and see Star Trek fans as you may never have seen them before, who have come from far and wide to be with their fellow fans and in the presence they've seen on screen. THis year will feature DISCO quite a bit I see too!
I remember my first time and smiling seeing people in uniform walking proudly through the halls. And then spotting Gul Dukat!

Great info call! But yeah I'm going to see the other fans similarly to comic con