Stonewall #RedShirtRun

Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 08 2016

STONEWALL #REDSHIRTRUN EVENT!
In honour of Star Trek's 50th Anniversary and on the heels of Gareth's very successful Fitbit Challenge earlier this year, I've decided to rally your interest from within Stonewall in participating in the 50th Anniversary Virtual walk or run for your choice of distance: 5 km, 10 km or a half marathon (approximately 21.5 km).  The virtual event is hosted by Full Medal Runs, but we're rebranding it for Stonewall and calling it our "Red Shirt Run", and here's how it works:

How to Participate & Prizes:
A virtual run can be completed any time and on your own time, with a deadline of December 31, 2016.  You choose the location, distance and pace that you'd like to walk or run and use a mobile fitness tracking app such as "Map my Run" or other similar mobile GPS fitness tracking alternative to record your participation.  Once you've completed your virtual run, post a screenshot from your fitness tracking app to this thread for your chance to win some Star Trek work-out gear!  EVERYONE who participates will be awarded 3 Stonewall Credits for use in our Star Trek Online prize store.  On January 1st, 2017, we'll also draw from those who completed the "Red Shirt Run" and one lucky winner will win an AMAZING Star Trek themed running shirt in their choice of colour, from Brainstorm Gear.com!

Winning a medal (optional):
You can choose to take this event one step further and optionally sign up for this run at fullmedalruns.com.  Essentially, you can officially enter their virtual run for $29.00 USD and upon your completion, they will send you a unique Star Trek themed medal to commemorate your participation in the event!  10% of the money they take in from this event will be donated to the Children's Make a Wish Foundation, a charity that fulfills wishes for terminally ill children!  Full details for winning a medal through fullmedalruns.com can be found by clicking on the link.  Signing up with them is entirely OPTIONAL and is NOT necessary to participate for free with your fellow fleeties in order to earn your Stonewall Credits and a chance to win the aforementioned Star Trek running gear.  Fullmedalruns.com is not associated with Stonewall in any way.

Get out there and get running!!
Be an inspiration to your crew by showing them that their Captain can tackle any physical challenge that a Starfleet career might require of them!  You never know when you're going to become involved in a slow and poorly choreographed fight to the death with a Gorn and you'll need to be in tip-top shape to make it out of that situation alive!  Also show your fellow Stonewall fleeties exactly what you're made of!

I look forward to seeing your running pictures and app snapshots!  Good luck to all!

4 people liked this
Edited October 11 2016 by Voleron
Lars Zandor

Lars_Zandor

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 08 2016
Nice! I'm not much for running, but I occasionally do walk to my work, which is about an hour away on foot. Guess I'll have to walk again sometime soon!

Also, that shirt looks great! I might just order it if I don't win it.
3 people liked this
Edited September 08 2016 by Lars_Zandor
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 09 2016
This is so cool, I'm defiantly in. I'm already thinking up my route, or I can take a day trip hiking in the mountains of Snowdonia.

#REDSHIRTRUN

3 people liked this
Cheshire McCaster

Niko

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 09 2016
Can this be done in a manual wheel chair?
Unknown Person liked this
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 09 2016
Quote by Niko
Can this be done in a manual wheel chair?

Absolutely!  Cardio is cardio!

Unknown Person

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 10 2016
Quote by GXV3
This is so cool, I'm defiantly in.

Obnoxiously Pedantic PSA: this is a common error, and it's also one of my pet peeves.

defiantly
[dih-fahy-uhnt-lee]
adverb
1. characterized by defiance; boldly resistant or challenging

definitely
[def-uh-nit-lee]
adverb
1. in a clear and definite manner; unambiguously.
2. unequivocally; positively.
2 people liked this
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 10 2016
Oh I see. Thank you for that..

Unknown Person

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 10 2016
LOL sorry, I did preface by admitting it was obnoxiously pedantic. It's just one of those common substitutions/spelling errors that makes my eye twitch.
Paul

hopalong

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 11 2016
I like the idea of being mowed down within two minutes of starting the run.  Yay!
Gareth GXV3

GXV3

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 11 2016
Quote by Teknomancer
LOL sorry, I did preface by admitting it was obnoxiously pedantic. It's just one of those common substitutions/spelling errors that makes my eye twitch.

Its ok, my English is not very good at the best of times, I am surprised anyone can understand me.. and sometimes I have to google what big words mean.

Getting back on topic, would anyone happen to know of any good GPS/Map tracking apps for a Windows phone?
(I know im one of the 5% who owns one, I miss my iphone!!)

Rob

Duriansol

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 11 2016
"Big Words" are defined as any word or phrase exceeding two syllables that requiries someone to have an educational equivalent to their common cultural expectation and that exceeds the normative intellectual capacity among peers by one standard deviation or more.

Unknown Person

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 11 2016
Quote by GXV3
Getting back on topic, would anyone happen to know of any good GPS/Map tracking apps for a Windows phone?
(I know im one of the 5% who owns one, I miss my iphone!!)

I just got rid of my Nokia Win10 phone, and the default app (Nokia Here Maps, I think) wasn't terrible. But honestly you're going to need to replace that thing pretty soon because Microsoft has announced the Windows Mobile end-of-life date. Not to mention the fact that there are basically no apps available for that platform. If a replacement iPhone is too pricey at the moment, you can pick up some pretty decent Android phones for around $100-150. I have a Motorola Moto G 3d Gen and I like it quite a lot.
Ben

Gravity

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 13 2016
There is a fitbit app for windows im sure, i have it on my PC so it will be available in the windows store for the phone. It will have GPS tracking.

It is a shame there was not more uptake on windows, the operating system is actually really good. I am a huge fan it just didnt get the chance it deserved from alot of people i feel. The synergy between the desktop and phone is really nice to have. I miss my windows phone but i got annoyed with app makers not bothering with windows versions of their apps and eventually bought a moto G4.
Robert

robin

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 20 2016
Does it have to be one of those three distances? I can trim one of my training sessions to fit, but the only races I have planned for the fall season are actually full marathons :)
And here, some old picture of my husband (L) and me (R) on a track ;)
http://oi67.tinypic.com/29ygrhz.jpg
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

September 20 2016
I think it's safe to say that if you want to run more, it'll still count ;)

Rob

Duriansol

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

October 15 2016
Completed my Red Shirt Run - 5k with my Gerberian Shepsky. 10/15/2016

2 people liked this
Dave (Voleron)

Voleron

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

October 15 2016
Congrats @Duriansol on being the first one through the gate for the #Redshirtrun!  I'm planning on doing mine tomorrow!

Gareth GXV3

GXV3

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

October 15 2016
**spys at his competition**

Hmmm.. interesting 

**Throws planned walk out of the window**

Well done DuringSol!

3 people liked this
Rob

Duriansol

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

October 16 2016
@GXV3

*it's DURIAN Sol*
Edited October 16 2016 by Duriansol
Rob

Duriansol

Stonewall Red Shirt Run!

October 17 2016
What's all that white in the background? Is that what caucasia is, that white coating on stuff on the Islands?

*aimlessly listens to the AC unit still running and being thankful he's not outside in the 93F (32C) sunshine.*