Star Trek Online: officially licensed sexism

A.J.

xochild

July 04 2016
Found this video recommended to me by YouTube this morning:
(Invalid video video code)

Around number 6, they reach Star Trek Online and the Orion. Thought what they had to say was worth a laugh, so I'm sharing it with everyone else.
2 people liked this
Lambda Corvus

corvus

July 04 2016
Funny, I had the same video recommended to me this morning. I already knew about the Orions' origins from a few TOS episodes. Perhaps I'm misremembering, but didn't a subsequent work attempt to explain that feminine Orions are, contrary to their original depiction as sex slaves, actually the rulers of their society? And being bought and sold as a sex slave as okay because, hey, there's power up for grabs? Perhaps it was from ENT. I always viewed that as the writers trying to say "see, we're not sexist, seeee!"
Robert

robin

July 04 2016
Quote by corvus
didn't a subsequent work attempt to explain that feminine Orions are, contrary to their original depiction as sex slaves, actually the rulers of their society?

Indeed, Orion women just posed as slaves, exerting power over males, who were the actual slaves.
2 people liked this
Michael

Mstfrancis

July 04 2016
There was not much from Enterprise that I thought was super clever. Though, I did think turning an old misogynistic outlier, like the Orion sex slave into a role reversal was interesting.
Unknown Person liked this