Ho, ho, ho! We here in the Stonewall Gaming Network leadership are thrilled about the upcoming holiday season and so, for the FIRST time, we've decided to organize an SGN #SecretSanta event, similar to those you may have heard of or participated in on Reddit. If the joy of giving is filling your heart this season, then consider signing up for this event, where you'll both give and receive a special gift!
1. Sign up and get matched
- Sign-up for the Stonewall Secret Santa exchange by November 30th, 2017 by completing the survey below
- On December 1st we will close signups, and our computer will randomly choose which Stonewaller you should send a gift to
- You'll receive an email with your Secret Santa match and their sign-up survey answers
2. Find the perfect gift and send it
- You'll have until December 14th to ship your gift, but the sooner the better, so as to increase the chances of it arriving for or shortly after Christmas
- When you ship it, keep a receipt and tracking number (if possible), and come back here to tell us that you've shipped it
3. Receive a gift from your match
- When you receive a gift, you'll need to come back here and post an amazing thank you note to your secret santa, hopefully with photos!
Q: What are the pre-requisites to participating?
A: You must be a Stonewall member in good standing with an account that's been active on this site PRIOR to the announcement of this event on November 24th, 2017.
Q: How much should I spend on a gift?
A:The recommended amount to spend is in the $20 range. While you may choose to spend more on your giftee, understand that the value of the gift you're receiving is likely to be in the recommended price range. That said, the goal is to send a thoughtful gift and might be something that you've created yourself, if you have a particular talent.
Q: Is the person I am gifting to the same person who is gifting to me?
A: No. They are two completely different people. However, in some instances, like if you are in a country with very few participants, there is the possibility that you and your giftee can be matched in a pair. We try to pair people from the same country together, so as to reduce on shipping times and costs.
Q: Do I have to use my real name and information?
A: Many postal services will not deliver packages without real names. Fake names are also often turned away by universities and apartments. Obviously, your Secret Santa won't be able to send you your gift if you don't provide accurate information. If you're concerned about sharing your contact information with a potential Secret Santa, then you might want to sit this event out or give us suggestions on how to improve it for next year!
Q: Can I ship directly from an online retailer like Amazon, to my giftee?
A: Of course. We understand that paying for shipping twice can be cost prohibitive when you’ve found the perfect gift online. Please only do this with reputable sites such as Amazon. Remember to handle your giftee's personal information with the same care that you would expect yours to be handled.
Q: What do I need to send a present through the mail?
A: Please check with your local postal service for specifics, but general best practices are:
- Do not wrap the package. You can wrap what's inside, but not the shipping box.
- Ensure the destination address is clear so that it doesn't get delayed in the mail
- Ensure a return address is provided; failing to provide this will likely result in your parcel being delayed by the postal service or at customs for security reasons, or it being lost altogether
- We strongly suggest getting a tracking number or some other form of delivery confirmation; keep your receipt!
Q: I'm late shipping my gift. What should I do?
A: It's OK if you ship a little bit late, but PLEASE let your giftee know so that they don't worry. Be sure to let us know by replying to this thread once you've shipped your gift.
Q: Sweet! I live close to my giftee! Can I deliver my gift by hand and not bother shipping it?
A: No. Please respect your giftee's privacy and handle their personal information with the same care and respect that you would expect yours to be handled with by your gifter.
Q: I never received a gift :( What do I do?
A: Please let us know. We'll get into contact with your Secret Santa to determine what went wrong. We'll look into tracking information and see where your gift may have been held up. If for whatever reason, we're unable to clear up the situation, we'll consider matching you to a gifter that we have on reserve.
Q: I have another question that hasn't been addressed here
A: Post your question in this thread and we'll answer it here!
By participating in this event, you understand that your contact information including your name, address, email and survey answers will be provided to your randomly selected Secret Santa to allow them to ship a gift to you. We're taking steps to safeguard your personal contact information as best we can by restricting this event to Stonewall members with an active account on this site prior to the announcement of this event. The survey service we selected to collect your contact information uses SSL. Only the administrator of this event and your Secret Santa will have access to your contact information. The administrator will delete your contact information once you've received your gift and your giftee has received their gift. With that said, you must appreciate that there is always some inherent risk to providing your contact information that we can't or haven't negated, therefore, if you choose to participate in this event, it is at your own risk.